The National Football league is encouraging Canadians to nominate local football coaches for recognition.
The NFL Youth Coach of the Year award, now in its 14th year, is designed to recognize active community or high school level volunteer coaches across Canada who dedicate themselves to the development of young players both on and off the field.
$5,000 of new football equipment will be donated to the winning coach’s program. Two runners-up schools will each receive $2,000 in equipment.
“We encourage anyone who knows a selfless volunteer football coach to visit NFLcoachoftheyear.ca and nominate them for recognition,” said Dan Quinn, Managing Director, NFLCanada. “This award does not recognize wins and losses. It recognizes the positive impact volunteer coaches can have on young players and their communities.”
Over the past 13 years the program has contributed more than $160,000 in equipment and facility upgrades to deserving programs. Any Canadian can nominate a coach for recognition.
Nominations can be submitted at www.NFLcoachoftheyear.ca on or before Thursday November 1, 2012.
Nominators are asked to submit a short essay recognizing the positive impact the volunteer high school or community coach has on young players. Nominators are asked to consider how the coach teaches respect, safety, motivation, leadership and appreciation for the game of football when drafting their nominations.
The winning coach will be selected by a panel of journalists from across Canada, NFL and Football Canada representatives.
Shortlisted coaches will be announced via press release and posted online (NFL.com) on Monday November 5, 2012. Winner and runners up will be announced via press release and posted online (NFL.com) on Tuesday November 13, 2012.
The winning coach will also win a trip to Toronto as a guest of the NFL at this year’s Vanier Cup celebrations, and will be honoured at the CIS All-Canadian Banquet on Wednesday, November 21, 2012, and attend the Vanier Cup, scheduled to be played on Friday, November 23, 2012 at 7:30 P.M.
- 1999: Mike Tanner, Queen Elizabeth High School, Halifax, NS
- 2000: Mitch Chuvalo, Western Technical Commercial High School, Toronto, ON
- 2001: Paul Normandeau, Kelvin High School, Winnipeg, MB
- 2002: Gordon Judges, St. Mary Catholic High School, Pickering, ON
- 2003: Paul Kerber, Western Canada High School, Calgary, AB
- 2004: Kevin Campbell, Hammarskjold High School, Thunder Bay, ON.
- 2005: Jeff Yanchus, John F. Ross CVI, Guelph, ON.
- 2006: Dan Del Mastro, Michael Power Catholic Secondary, Toronto, ON.
- 2007: Jeff Green, Chatham-Kent Secondary, Chatham, ON.
- 2008: Quinn Skelton, Medicine Hat High School, Medicine Hat, AB.
- 2009: Bruce Waddell, Parkwest Outlaws, Shoal Lake, MB.
- 2010: John Svenson, Melville Comprehensive School, Melville, SK.
- 2011: Rick Gilson, Grand Prairie Composite High School, Grand Prairie, AB (photo)